EN 343 FOUL WEATHER PROTECTION
EN 343 EUROPEAN RAIN PROTECTION STANDARD
Certified and approved garments provide protection against rain and inclement weather.
Requirements and test methods for fabrics and seams of protective clothing against the influence of rain, snow, fog and ground humidity. Resistance to water penetration (A) and water vapour resistance (B) is measured.
- A: Resistance to water penetration: 1-4, where class 4 provides the best waterproofness
- B: Breathability – water vapour resistance: 1-4, where class 4 provides the best breathability
- C: Impact from above with high energy droplets (optional)
The EN 343 norm was updated during 2019 with the addition of class 4 (previously class 1-3). Our STRATA Protection® waterproof garments released during 2020 have been tested according to the new version of EN 343. An ongoing update and recertification of existing garments is underway with the aim of being ready in 2021.
The waterproofness in STRATA Protection® garments is tested with a water column of 10,000 mm and the assortment is categorized as following:
- 20,000 mm> Extreme weather conditions
- 15,000 mm Heavy rain for a long time
- 10,000 mm Continuous rain for a long time
- 5,000 mm Moderate rain for a long time
- 3,000 mm Light to moderate rain for a shorter period of time
Breathability is indicated in the RET value. The lower the RET value, the better the breathability.
- RET 0-6 Extremely good or very good breathability
- RET 6-13 Very good or good breathability
- RET 13-20 Good or satisfactory breathability
- RET 20-30 Unsatisfactory or limited breathability
- RET 30+ Unsatisfactory or no breathability